Friday, November 14, 2008

Brie visits the hospital

Yesterday I took Aubreigh for her annual kidney ultrasound and nuclear medicene cystogram. Fun stuff. Luckily she didn't remember it from last year, or she would have cried the whole way to the hospital. But, we've got to see if she's got urinary reflux, and if so, to what degree. Aubreigh was quite a trooper. She was admitted to outpatient surgery, even though she wasn't having surgery. She got the BEST nurse in the whole world and they let her pick a stuffed animal. So now we have a purple bunny to add to our already huge stuffed animal collection! She brought along her favorite doll, Sarah, and of course her blankie.

Nurse Maureen took Brie's vitals and we had to give her a sedative to she'd be still for 20 minutes. Now, Brie is my most cooperative child and most people think she's unusually quiet anyway, so with a sedative I expected her to conk out.

Nope.

She got really chatty and a little bit snippy with me! (I joked with Marty that she "turned into Caitlyn!") She actually relaxed after the procedures. But she was such a good girl. The ultrasound was a piece of cake, and quick, but the 2nd deal involved her being catheterized- luckly the nurse was super-quick about the insertion and I got to be right there holding Brie's hand to comfort her. The nuclear medicene cystogram was not as scary as it sounds. The radiologist sends a liquid with a mildly radioactive element up the the bladder, and as you watch on the screen, you see tiny white points of light appear and can see if the bladder is refluxing into the kidneys. And she does indeed have some reflux still. Sigh. She sees her urologist next week and we'll see where to go from here. (I'm guessing another year of antibiotics and repeat the same deal next year.)

Brie chose to go to McDonald's when we were all done. She definitely earned it! And if I'm ever in a painful situation in a hospital, I want Nurse Maureen with me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been checking and checking the blog for this information. So happy to hear that Aubreigh did so well and that the nurse was so good too. We have been spending time in prayer for our little Aubreigh-- so concerned for her--- for the condition and having the tests. Glad that part is over.

Love, Grandma Ginny

The Scholl Family said...

Thank you for praying! Yes, it's a relief to have the tests done. Aubreigh asked me multiple times today, "No hospital, Mommy? OK!" But she has secured Jake as her "patient" now, and has had him sit down for many pretend "blood tests" today! Luckily, he thinks it's fun!

Stephanie Tang said...

She sounds just like her Papa when he gets put under! Hehe!! =-) Glad it went so well. Good job being brave Aubreigh! We love you. =-)

The Scholl Family said...

"Thank you, Auntie Sef, I love you." -Aubreigh

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry she has to have those tests done, Jennie, but she does sound like such a little trooper. A good nurse can make all the difference in those situations. I'm glad you got a great one (most are, I've found!).

I'll be thinking of her and praying for a good report from the urologist. A good friend of mine went through the same thing with her son and he did finally outgrow the reflux at about age 6, no surgery was needed to correct the problem but he was on antibiotics up until then.

On a different note; I think about you guys often and hope you are all doing well. :o)

Kristen Borland said...

what an ordeal. antibiotics for that long! what at trooper.