
to take care of my feathered girls, bright and early after I saw Caitlyn off at the bus stop. I'm always greeted by 20 squawking (hungry) hens and a couple of roosters. I threw some scratch out to them, then filled thier feeder with their delicious lay crumble...and that's when I saw one of my poor Mille Fleur hens lying lifeless on the floor of the coop. She had died overnight and looked very peaceful- no horrible pecking went on, anyway. But still, it was sad. The kids don't know yet. I'm wondering how Caitlyn will take it. I think she'd be more upset if it was her favorite rooster, "Sleepy." (He likes to close his eyes and they swing on the swings together..yes, very odd but it seems to work for them both.) Here is Caitlyn back in July with the little hen. Sigh.....I'm not looking forward to the burial. I've only buried fish before. At least this isn't a sheep or a cow, though.
On a positive note, we're getting between 2-6 eggs per day, and they're very pretty and tasty! I have enough excess eggs to sell at Marty's work, and that helps pay for feed. I really like having my chickens. They have such simple lives and it's relaxing to watch them do what it is they do. (Which isn't much- but it's more than our dog Henry does!)


2 comments:
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your hen...I wonder what animal got him? Hope Caitlyn takes it well....glad it wasn't sleepy.
Love, Aunt Sue Ann
We still don't know how she died but doubt it was an animal since she was inside where they roost and nest. Caitlyn was pretty upset, too. It turned out to be one of her hens (I had forgotten she had adopted one of the 4 Mille Fleur hens that I got from Marty's co-worker) and she took it pretty hard. She stayed in her room for an hour by herself. If you know Caitlyn, that's saying a lot!
Post a Comment