I took Brie and Jake to MOPS this morning. It was wonderful to have 2 hours to spend with friends, knowing the kids were having fun and were well taken care of. This year a librarian will be reading a story to the kids, and we Moms got to meet her today. She invited us to story time at the local library and said there will also be a guide dog there too, enjoying the story with the kids. Well, I thought, this sounds perfect! So after MOPS we got some lunch and headed to the library. The first thing Jake did after we rounded the corner to the storytime area was to encounter a baby learning to walk, and he promptly pushed the poor thing over. I was so MAD! Jake has just started doing this. I am anxious that he's going to be a bully by nature....what if this is not just a phase? The thing is, he'll shove a kid down and then just look at him (it's usually a "him", but it has been a "her" too!) to see what the child will do in response.
Now, I'm still a newbie at raising a boy. My girls didn't do this and I am beyond embarrassed that my son is bullying kids already. I know you're thinking right now, OK, Jennie, what did you DO about it? For starters, I deeply apologized the the poor bullied child and his mom. In public, I can give Jake a smack on the hand and a big reprimand. But he doesn't seem to understand what I'm talking about. Looking back, I should have just left the library (punishing poor Aubreigh as well, who just wanted to sit and hear the story.)
I really need to take another look at "Bringing Up Boys."
11 months
12 years ago


3 comments:
Jacob understood, but like all kids, they will cross that line again and again to see if you are going to be consistent. Reading that book is a great idea.
I hope the rest of you time at the library went well.
Love,
Papa
i always like your dad's responses. (i think it's your dad.)
i haven't read that book yet, but mike has and really liked it. can't say as i noticed particular bully behavior before, but yes boys like to push and rough house and sometimes don't understand that little ones don't rough house! discipline is always so tough, isn't it? it's so necessary, so unpleasant, and most of the time so confusing!
also, thanks for your encouragement on my blog. :)
oh no! this story made me chuckle, i must admit. :) i have two boys, and honestly, boys don't make as much sense to me as girls! i think i need to read that book too!
Post a Comment