Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Time to Charm


It's been too long since I engaged in one of my favorite hobbies...quilting. And you can probably see why! I have so much beautiful fabric and half-started projects that it was hard to decide what to do next. But eventually I fell back on what "charmed" me about quilts in the first place: Charm quilts! A charm quilt is one made up of all different "charms" of fabrics: no two are the same. The result is a kaleidoscope of color- to some this may seem hodge-podge, but to me is symbolic of how the original quilts were made anyway. The quilt above is called "Axe Blade" or "Applecore" Charm- I prefer Applecore. An axe has nothing in common with a soft quilt!

So I'm excited to do something for me. I am being selfish. This quilt is by me, for me. To have fun with, indulge in, and snuggle with when it's done. I've been waiting for this kind of inspiration, and frankly, it's been tough to get inspired lately! The kids are all under the weather right now and Caitlyn is on Day 4 of missing school. It's time for me to turn in the homework she's done and pick up more. She had the flu and now has a nasty cough. Jake woke up crying this morning with a lovely snotty nose. On the sweet side, I cuddled him in the rocker and he fell back to sleep for 10 minutes or so. I can't remember the last time he went to sleep in my arms! That was precious. So it's another day home with my little three. Probably another day of doling out medicene, playing Monopoly (Littlest Pet Shop version- truly awesome!) having tea parties in the loft, sifting through fabric, showering (Oh please, Lord!) encouraging siblings to share and love each other, staying quiet during little guy's nap time....

6 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

i love the quilt in the picture! that's gorgeous. (you have such patience to do something with such tiny little pieces!!) please post pictures as you work on it! can't wait to see your progress!

how fun to make something special for yourself, something to cuddle in and enjoy during your much-needed down time. and i hope everyone starts to feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

You are not being selfish. I'm glad to hear you are getting back to your creative hobby. Have fun quilting!!!
love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennie,
The quilt is beautiful! That must of taken forever. I just started quilting!! My first project is 4 placements for the cabin. It has bears, fish, & lanterns on the fabric. Only hope I can finish and move on to something bigger.
We will see! Love, Aunt Sue Ann

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful, Jennie! You have such talent. The quilts that you made for Jaidyn and Brenden are treasured favorites in our home.

I hope your kids are feeling better now. We've had a long 2-month run of illness here too. It's never all of the kids at once, but 1 or 2 of them at a time. I would love to go a week without measuring out Motrin or taking someone's temp or a visit to the pediatricians office! The only upside to having a sick child, is as you pointed out, they will actually sit still and cuddle, which is rare here too.

Keep up with your quilting; you need to make time to be "Jennie" and not only "Mommy." :o)

The Scholl Family said...

First of all, thank you all for liking the quilt! Second, I need to admit it isn't mine! It's an example of a charm quilt. :) The pieces are bigger than they look, about 3 1/2 inches. Mine is still in the piecing stage, and I've gotten back into fabric-swapping online (QuiltSwappers on Yahoo Groups) which is a fast, fun, and cheap way to build up your fabric stash if you want a lot of variety. I'll post a pic soon of my quilt-in-progress!

The Scholl Family said...

whoops...I had that group name wrong on Yahoo..it's "StashBuilders." Great group of quilters!